Perfect?

Matthew 5:48 aBe ye therefore bperfect, even as your cFather which is in heaven is perfect.

This scripture used to give me a lot of pain. I couldn't understand how I could ever live up to it. Perfection? Is this even possible? 
Photo by Aleksandar Pasaric from Pexels

As I think of perfection, I think of a ladder. A ladder that is so tall it is difficult to see the top especially when there are clouds blocking my view. I try to see past them but it is hard. The clouds represent different things like sin, worry, laziness, distraction, and misunderstanding, with a host of many others. 
Photo by Karl Solano from Pexels

That is just it. When I can't see the master then I struggle to make it even one step up the ladder. The ladder seems too dangerous when my view is clouded. It seems too far. It seems so much easier to climb down the ladder instead of up. God hasn't asked us to climb the ladder without help. He wants us to focus on him and when we climb down instead of up he wants us to refocus through the clouds and look up to him. Christ will help me and help you refocus on those things that are important. He will help us repent. I don't have to climb the whole ladder today. That is impossible. He just asks us to put in our best effort. Don't get discouraged by the long ladder and trust in God. He wants to see us succeed. He is cheering us on. We have prophets and apostles that help us hear the voice of the Lord.  When I listen to our prophet and trust in His infinite wisdom, I have a different view. My vision is no longer clouded. 



Elder Holland taught. "Brothers and sisters, every one of us aspires to a more Christlike life than we often succeed in living. If we admit that honestly and are trying to improve, we are not hypocrites; we are human. May we refuse to let our own mortal follies, and the inevitable shortcomings of even the best men and women around us, make us cynical about the truths of the gospel, the truthfulness of the Church, our hope for our future, or the possibility of godliness. If we persevere, then somewhere in eternity our refinement will be finished and complete—which is the New Testament meaning of perfection.14"
Read more about perfection from Elder Holland

As we each work daily to be better and better may we celebrate the successes and help each other along this path of life. To give each other strength and courage to keep climbing and keep asking for help again and again from the one who knows us best.... God. 
I am cheering you on!

Comments